I was on Pinterest a few weeks ago and came across a picture of chore cards. Clicked on the picture and went here. Absolutely loved the idea of creating chore cards, and as I already did a similar system for points I figured I could incorporate those in as well. Only thing left was to tweak it a bit!
First thing I did was sit in front of the computer and think. Then I got up and went room by room through my house. I wrote chores down on a notebook while I was in the room, hoping I wouldn’t miss anything. I then went back to my computer and started typing out my cards. I knew that I wanted weekly or daily chores on one side, and deep-clean chores on the other, and I knew I had to have the card just under 5 inches square so it would fit in my Xyron. This led me to creating a template.
After I created all of the cards on the computer I went to print them. I chose colors that were appropriate for the rooms/kids and went to print. Funny thing happened–they wouldn’t print on both sides of the printer! After many wasted test sheets I found that my duplex printer only works with certain sizes. I then had to change the paper size on each card when I printed. Pain, but a few minutes later and that was done.
Downstairs to my craftroom I went. These are the supplies that I needed for my project: Xyron with lamination cartridge, paper cutter, self adhesive velcro circles, ruler, sandpaper, and paper/printer (not shown).
I trimmed my cards to make sure they were all under 5 inches square and then put them into the Xyron. To keep from wasting lamination I fed the cards through the machine all at once, before I cute it, making sure there was a bit of room between cards. Here’s a pic of what it looks like:
After this was done I cut out my cards, making sure I didn’t cut too close to the bubble. The bubble is the space all around the card where the lamination sheets aren’t stuck together. It’s usually only 1/16 inch wide, but it’s very important not to cut before, or too close after it. I used a guide on my paper cutter and cut about 1/4 inch past it. I tried taking a picture of the line, hopefully you can see it:
After everything was trimmed I grabbed my sand paper. I used a circular motion and roughed up a circle the size of my velcro. It wasn’t an exact science, and the first few had some marks where I didn’t want them to, but it wasn’t very difficult. I spent about 10 seconds in each corner. I put the big side of the velcro on the back (or deep clean) side of my chore cards. After those were affixed I put the matching side of velcro over the top of the velcro stuck to the card. This way my circles would line up on my card and on the back of the cabinet.
And that’s it! I am now the proud owner of a dozen chore cards. I created cards for the kids’ bedrooms/closets, the kitchen, bathrooms, playroom, pet areas, and basement. Every week I write their chores on our central calendar the day they need to be done. The kids all know to look at the calendar each day, so I don’t have to keep a chart anymore. Another plus is if we’re busy, or the kids have an activity, I can plan chores around schedules.We’ve had problems in the past with schedules conflicting with chores. No more!
When they’re finished with their chores they get an adult, and we check their chores off. That’s what the lines are for–kids check on the first line when completed, adult checks the second line if it’s really done. Then we’ll assign points for the room, which equals $$$. I keep track of points in a little notebook, and after recording them I wipe off the card, stick it back on, and it’s ready for another day.
Be sure to check out the link at the beginning of the post for the original blogger.